Best Cycling Sunglasses Guide
Cycling sunglasses are a crucial tool to ensuring you experience a seamless ride. When looking for the best pair of cycling sunglasses for you, it’s not always easy knowing where to start. The high volume of designs, shapes, styles and features out there can be overwhelming when figuring out what works best for you. But worry no more! We’re here to answer all of your cycling sunglass questions with this ultimate guide to the best cycling sunglasses and prescription cycling glasses. We’ll list out the important features that make for an exceptional pair of cycling sunglasses, and follow up with a list of the best cycling sunglasses and prescription cycling sunglasses that house these features.
What to Look for in a Pair of Cycling Sunglasses
– Fit: Fit is always key when it comes to sunglasses, but when it comes to cycling you not only have to worry about how the sunglasses are going to fit on your face, but also how they’ll fit under your helmet. We find that frames with straight-back temples are your best bet for optimal helmet compatibility. Straight-back temples will also allow you to seamlessly remove and replace your frames when needed.
– Grip: True cycling glasses will have both temple and nose grips to ensure a secure fit throughout every ride. You can count on these rubber materials to increase grip the more you sweat, maintaining a precise optical alignment at all times; this feature is exceptionally important in prescription cycling sunglasses.
– Coverage & Protection: The best cycling sunglasses are all about that wrap around frame design. More wrap means more coverage and extended peripherals. That coverage is going come in handy, you’ll see. No really, you’ll see, like everything, and you’ll feel much more protected all at once. Wrap around glasses also provide ample wind and debris protection. If you have a high prescription, you too can reap the benefit of wrap around cycling sunglasses with frames, such as the Rudy Project Exception, designed to accommodate your high-prescription needs.
– Lightweight Build: Think you’ll be fine in a pair of heavy shades? Think again. Think like a pro, like a swimmer even. Don’t let any weight hold you back. Plus, a lighter frame will be less apparent in it’s existence on your face. The best cycling sunglasses will feel like they’re not even there!
– Optimal Lenses for the Road Conditions: Now comes the decision of dark vs light lenses. When making this decision it is always better to go with a light lens. We say this because of the safety issues that come with having a pair of cycling sunglasses which are too dark. When riding we are usually surrounded with grey, in particular the ground, shadows, pot holes, and debris. Dark lenses may cause you to miss those obstacles, hindering your reaction time. Lighter lenses provide enhanced contrast, allowing you to spot uneven road surfaces up ahead. As a good rule of thumb, a lighter lens creates more pop and less stop. As a result, a lighter lens with UV protection is the way to go.
Highly Recommended Features for Prescription Cycling Sunglasses
When it comes to choosing the perfect lens for your vision and riding needs, there are some features that work better for some than others, especially when customizing a pair of prescription cycling sunglasses. Here’s a little break down of your options and why they may or may not be for you.
– Transition Lenses: These lenses change for you, making it easier to deal with the changing light throughout your bike ride. Transition lenses typically come in grey, however they also come in brown to help deliver a desires contrast. The SportRx Sunset Lens provides a brown based transition lens, which changes from a medium rose copper to a dark rose copper, creating a lens that can work in any daytime condition.
– Polarized vs Non Polarized: Simply put, polarized lenses cut out glare. This feature makes for a good lens when you are in bright conditions where the reflected glare can strain your eyes. Polarized lenses are recommended for water activities and driving. Polarized lenses are not ideal for road cycling because there are situations in which seeing glare can actually be a benefit. For example, picking up on an oil slick or pot hole would be harder with a polarized lens. A polarized lens would also make reading cycling computer much more difficult. That is why we suggest a contrast enhancing non-polarized lens for your cycling needs.
– Progressive vs. Non-Progressive: This decision is highly reliant on your personal choice. For road cycling, if you wear progressive lenses in your daily life and tend to really like them, then there is a good chance you will like them in a pair of prescription cycling glasses. In most cases this is due to convenience. For instance, when it comes to fixing a flat, buying coffee, or drafting behind someone, you won’t have to worry about taking your glasses off. For downhill mountain biking, we do not suggest going progressive cycling sunglasses.
Some new, some tried and true. This list of cycling sunglasses and prescription cycling sunglasses entails the best of the best. The features behind the beauty of all these cycling glasses are what truly make their names great. Ranking from least to most Rx-able, there is a pair of frames on this list sure to fulfill your riding and/or vision needs.
The new Oakley Radar EV Path PRIZM Road sunglasses are the cycling sunglass of the future. Although the Radar EV is available in the present 2015, they undeniably incorporate a plethora of futuristic features. The new Oakley Radar EV Path includes the built to last O Matter frame and anti-slip Unobtainium earsocks and nose-bombs that effectively intensify grip the more you sweat. The new Oakley Radar EV sunglasses provide an extended view with improved upper peripheral vision and taller lens design, and an improved ventilation system for an anti-fog view creating the ultimate pair of sunglasses for cyclists. To top it off, PRIZM Road lenses are what ultimately make these the best pair of cycling sunglasses. This lens technology will enhance contrast and prepare you for the road up ahead like never before.
Weight reduction at its finest, the EVZero Range is as light as a feather but it still packs a punch. The full rimless shield lens will give you more than enough viewing area and coverage. The Unobtanium nose pads and temples secure the frame for all day comfort on those longer rides. Oakley’s three-point fit system makes this frame comfortable and flexible for many different head sizes. Take all of these features and add in a PRIZM Road lens for the ultimate pair of Oakley cycling sunglasses.
Oakley Jawbreaker will set any rider apart with its aggressive lines and tough O-Matter frame. With a taller and wider lens, Oakley Jawbreaker sunglasses provide extended upper peripheral vision that is optimized for cycling in any condition. In addition, Oakley Switchlock Technology enables you to swap lenses in a flash. Unobtanium nosebombs and earsocks keep your Oakley Jawbreaker sunglasses secure on your face and effectively increase grip as you sweat. Adjustable temple lengths allow for a custom fit, which also makes for amazing helmet compatibility. These babies are also available with PRIZM Road lenses, to deliver the best visual experience and performance-enhancing vision your eyes have ever experienced.
Oakley Flak 2.0 XL sunglasses take a big leap forward on an already-elite pair of sports sunglasses. The Flak Jacket 2.0 XL is the upgraded version of the already great Flak Jacket XLJ. This new model has updated styling, more comfort, and provides an improved field of vision with better upper peripheral views and even more wrap around coverage. Constructed with Oakley’s proprietary O-Matter, this pair of Oakley cycling sunglasses has amazing durability and ultra-lightweight comfort. In addition, Oakley’s Three-Point-Fit system coupled with Unobtainium earsocks and nose pads increases the level of anti-slip grip. You can be sure to know your Oakley Flak Jacket 2.0 XL glasses will stay securely in place, which is exceptionally optimal since they are available in prescription. This model is available with PRIZM Road lenses and we can make those in your prescription too.
The Oakley Flight Jacket has an edgy look with performance-driven capabilities. An extended, open top lens gives you the upward field of view that was never possible with a standard pair of cycling glasses. This is especially important because it doesn’t sacrifice your visual field in situations when you are in the tucked/aero position on your bike. Perhaps the most impressive feature on these glasses is the Advancer. The revolutionary Advancer Technology works as a switch on the front of the frame to push the glasses directly forward on your face to prevent fogging. When activated, the Advancer increases room for airflow between your face and the glasses. The unconventional styling and performance features is what sets the Flight Jacket apart from the rest.
The Racing Jacket has been around for years and can still hang with today’s top frames which is why it made it onto the list. The vented lenses are all about combating fog and can be easily changed out when you are on the go. All the necessary Unobtanium on the nose pads and temple arms keep the frames perfectly aligned even when you hit a bump in the road. You will have ultimate clarity and protection with the Oakley Plutonite lenses and they are even available in prescription!
The Smith Pivlock Arena sunglasses are designed to bring full protection to your eyes when descending at crazy speeds. This bridge-less, wraparound frame offers an extremely large, uninterrupted field of view. The lenses are water, oil, and dirt-resistant Carbonic TLT lenses, which add a level to optical clarity. These Smith cycling sunglasses feature two-position adjustable nose pads and slide-on temple tips that are constructed with a hydrophilic material for increased grip with moisture. To top it all off, the ultralight TR-90 frames feature Smith’s signature Pivlock lens-interchange system that lets you change out your lenses in the drop of a hat. Always have the perfect lenses no matter what the circumstances.
The Bolle 6th Sense cycling glasses are the perfect pair for those who value visual clarity and a stable fit. B-Max technology with ergonomically-shaped components provide a pair of frames that adjust perfectly to the racing position. These cycling sunglasses extend the field of vision and protection towards the top of the face, making sure you are always on top of your game.
The Tifosi Wasp sunglasses are perfect for the woman rider who needs versatile sunglasses that easily adapt to whatever the training conditions. Their sleek yet durable frames are made from Grilamid TR 90 and are also easily Rx-able so that you can maintain your active lifestyle despite your vision needs. Adding to the adaptability, these Tifosi cycling sunglasses feature interchangeable lenses and adjustable hydrophilic rubber ear and nose pieces. Tifosi Wasp sunglasses will be with you every step of the way as you take on life’s adventures.
POC Do Low is a perfect pair of sunglasses, performing both on and off the bike. The frame is injected with Grilamid frame material, which allows for an extremely lightweight, durable, and comfortable fit. POC Do Low also features an adjustable nosepiece made with hydrophilic rubber that ensures a no-slip grip. You will always get high quality optical clarity and all-day protection when wearing a pair of wrap around POC Do Low prescription sunglasses.
Nike Mercurial 6.0 prescription sunglasses are one of Nike’s most adaptable frames, not only in function, but in Rx-ability. This frame allows for a wide range of high Rx options, making it one of the top contenders for high-Rx cycling sunglasses on the market. With a bold and modern style, this pair of sunglasses can be used for any outdoor activity, not just cycling. However, the quality nylon frame materials allow for all-day comfort, and the soft rubber inlay nose pads allow for an anti-slip grip perfect for any type of cycling. Nike Mercurial 6.0 prescription sunglasses are all about keeping you out on the road without letting your vision slow you down.
Even extreme athletes can have difficult prescriptions, and if that’s you, then the Rudy Project Exception is the pair of sunglasses for you. These wraparound frames can fit almost ANY prescription because they are designed with a unique flip-action technology. As soon as the conditions in which you’re cycling change, all you have to do is reach up and flip up (or down) the entire lens system. You can even remove the flip up system with its elastic hinge. Other frame features include fully-adjustable nose piece and temples as well as insert lens available to specifically cater to your prescription needs. Rudy Project Exception sunglasses are highly recommended for those with high prescription needs so that you can see better, clearer, and wider than if had you chosen any other ordinary cycling sunglasses.
You can’t go wrong with the Rudy Project Agon + Insert sunglasses no matter where you ride. Just like any good cycling sunglasses, their comfortable wrap around fit delivers ample coverage and expanded peripheral vision, while also allowing for helmets to be worn so that you don’t have to choose one over the other. Once you place these shades on your face, you won’t want to take them off, mainly because you’ll barely notice you’re even wearing them due to the lightweight Kynetium aluminum metal that makes up the frames. Other key features include an adjustable nose piece and adjustable temples, each with enough grip so that the sunglasses remain in their preferred position. You also have the option of inserts to cater to your strong prescription needs. Count on the Rudy Project Agon + Insert sunglasses to provide optimal visual clarity that every cyclist desires.
Nike Bandit sunglasses are one of a kind with its versatile style, built in cooling, comfort, and unparalleled sports frame design. These Nike sunglasses take it to another level with its lightweight design and ventilation system that allows heat to escape and cool air to circulate, both of which make for long-lasting comfort throughout your ride. Soft rubber temples work to wick away sweat and prevent the glasses from slipping off your face during those intense high climbs. Nike Bandit prescription sunglasses are some of the best out there with their highly Rx-able compatibility and versatile usage.
SportRx is Here for You and All Your Cycling Needs!
If you’re looking for quality cycling glasses to exceed your expectations, SportRx has you covered. All of the above sunglasses are available here at SportRx, some of which are better for high prescription needs than others. If you have any questions about this list of the best cycling sunglasses, or prescription cycling glasses in general, give us a call or LiveChat one of our optical ninjas who are always here to help! We can’t wait to get you out on the road seeing better than ever.