Protect your eyes from fly balls and harsh UV rays with softball sunglasses designed to enhance your game. To help you get the competitive advantage out on the field, our Sports Opticians have put together the best softball sunglasses of the year. These TOP five frames will keep your eyes on the ball with greater contrast, clarity, and UV protection. Join SportRx as we reveal the best softball sunglasses of 2022!
Table of Contents
A. Video Overview
B. What to Look for in Softball Sunglasses
C. Best Softball Sunglasses of 2022
1. Oakley Flak 2.0 XL
2. Under Armour Playmaker
3. 100% S3
4. Nike Show X2
5. Rudy Project Rydon
D. Best Softball Sunglasses of 2021
E. Shop Prescription Softball Sunglasses at SportRx
Join Steph as she introduces the best softball sunglasses of 2022! Read on to learn more about the frames.
Whether you play shortstop or center field, a good view of the field is crucial for winning the game. And for your eyewear to perform at it's best, there are a few key ingredients to consider. Let's review which features are necessary to get a properly fitted frame that stays in place, no matter how much you move.
Wrap Around Coverage
Sunglasses with a wrap around design provide the most coverage from blinding sunrays, dirt, dust, and debris. They also give you a wide view of the field due to the contoured fit. The best way to get wrap around coverage is with 8-base sunglasses or shield lens designs.
Say goodbye to slipping frames and hello to sunglasses that stay perfectly in place — even when you break a sweat. All of today's frames include rubber grip to keep your sunglasses exactly where they need to be.
For your eyewear to perform at its best, a proper fit is essential. And when you're wearing a batting helmet or any type of headgear, it's easy to want to ditch your eyewear. The best softball sunglasses keep headgear in mind in their design, with sleek frames and temples that fit seamlessly with helmets.
To learn more about what makes a stellar pair of softball glasses, visit our Softball Sunglasses Buyer's Guide.
Let's check out the frames!
These wrap around sunglasses are no strangers to our best of sport sunglasses lineups, because it can do them all! Our Sports Opticians love the Oakley Flak 2.0 XL for softball in particular because it provides tons of coverage with its 8-base wrap and extended lens design. It uses impact-resistant materials like lightweight O Matter™ and proprietary Plutonite lenses to keep you safe as you're giving it your all. As for grip, the Flak 2.0 XL has Unobtainium® rubber which gets tackier the more you sweat.
The Oakley Flak 2.0 XL is available with interchangeable PRIZM™ lens technology, which enhances contrast to make the ball pop. PRIZM™ is also Rx-able, so you can get the Flak 2.0 XL with prescription lenses!
Oakley Flak 2.0 XL Key Features:
- Former REXY Winner for Best Sports Sunglasses
- Interchangeable lens system allows you to swap lenses in no time
- Impact-resistant O Matter™ frame & Plutonite lenses
- Available with Rx-able PRIZM™ lens technology
- SportRx Frame Width: 135 (What is SFW?)
You'll intimidate the pitcher when you step up to bat while wearing the Under Armour Playmaker sunglasses. These sunglasses mean business and don't quit until you're ready to call it a game. Made from impact-resistant TR90, the Playmaker is incredibly durable, flexible, and lightweight. They feature fully adjustable nose pads, which are a unique element in saddle bridge sunglasses that allow you to get a perfect fit. The nose pads and temples also feature ArmourGrip, which keeps your frames in place as you're chasing down a fly ball.
As for the lenses, the Under Armour Playmaker has an interchangeable lens system to give you the perfect tint at all times. The contoured lens shape also encourages air flow to minimize fogging during your sweatiest games.
Under Armour Playmaker Key Features:
- TR90 frame construction is impact-resistant, flexible, & durable
- Contoured lens design promotes air flow & minimizes fogging
- ArmourGrip rubber nose pads are adjustable for perfect fit & grip
- Not Rx-able
- SFW: 135
We're throwing in a curveball with the 100% S3 and its unique shield lens design. The cylindrical shape creates tons of coverage and the generous lens depth provides extra protection from dust and UV rays. The interchangeable shield lens is available with contrast-enhancing HiPER® lenses or photochromic options, so you never miss a beat. Grilamid® TR90 is durable and lightweight, so you'll stay comfortable even if you go into extra innings. Rubber nose pads further enhance comfort and grip.
100% S3 Key Features:
- Cylindrical shield lens design provides generous coverage
- Grilamid® TR90 frame construction is impact-resistant, flexible, & durable
- Vented frame & lens design promotes airflow for fog-free vision
- Not Rx-able
- SFW: 137
The Nike Show X2 is a no-brainer for any of your softball practices or competitive tournaments. Always reliable, always comfortable, and never out of place — the Show X2 keeps you focused on the game and not your eyewear. Its versatile design excels out on the field, but can also be easily worn for casual days or any of your other favorite sports. For performance technology, Nike MAX Optics provides enhanced contrast based on your environment. They're also water-resistant and glare-blocking, so you don't get distracted from the win. As for fit, the Nike Show X2 has adjustable rubber temple tips and nose pads for a custom feeling that lasts all game.
Nike Show X2 Key Features:
- 8-base wrap provides all-around protection from dust & UV rays
- Nose pads are adjustable, vented, & rubberized for clear & comfortable vision
- Available with Nike MAX Optics that enhance your view of the field
- Rx-able with SportRx Sport Optimized Lenses
- SFW: 138
We've come full circle and we're closing out our lineup with another REXY Winner, the Rudy Project Rydon. These sleek performance sunglasses won the 2021 Durability Award and 2020 Optician's Choice Award for their longevity and versatility. The low-profile design consists of a durable nylon frame front and lightweight metal temples that fit comfortably under your headgear. Rubber grip keeps the Rydon in place, and the unique flying lens design keeps your vision fog-free. The lenses are also interchangeable and can be tailor-made to fit your prescription needs.
Rudy Project Rydon Key Features:
- Former REXY Winner for the Durability Award & Optician's Choice Award
- Fully adjustable rubber nose pads & temple tips for custom fit
- Available with Rx Dock for higher prescriptions & Slim for smaller faces
- SFW: 138
For even more frame recommendations, explore our 2021 lineup below!
If it's Oakley, it's awesome. The Half Jacket 2.0 XL is perfect for softball. It has a very similar design to the Flak we'll see further down the list, but with a smaller fit and softer edges that fit women especially well.
Oakley Half Jacket 2.0 XL Key Features:
- Increased grip with Unobtainium® temples & nose pads
- PRIZM™ Field gives color and contrast enhancement specifically designed for softball & baseball
- Lightweight O Matter™ frame has impressive durability even when you slide into first
- Available in a small size or Asian Fit to ensure a perfect fit
- SFW: 132
Ventilation, comfort, and great coverage characterize the Tifosi Mira. The perfect softball shades, they boast a subtle style and they've got the chops to stay in place even when you're sliding into home base.
Tifosi Mira Key Features:
- Highly resistant & bendable Grilamid TR-90 frame
- Semi rimless design to decrease fogging & increase downward vision
- Adjustable, hydrophilic rubber nose pads & temples for a custom, non-slip fit
- Enliven color capture lens technology
- SFW: 131
Bold in style and function, the Oakley Radar EV Path are the ultimate sports sunglass. The shield lens design allows for an extended field of view, while venting increases airflow and decreases fogging.
Oakley Radar EV Path Key Features:
- Lightweight & durable O Matter™ frame
- Taller, vented shield lens for extended vision & increased air circulation
- Unobtainium® earsocks & nose pad for added grip
- Oakley PRIZM™ contrast enhancing lens technology
- SFW: 140
A scaled-down version of the original Rydon, Rudy Project's Rydon Slim sunglasses are feather-light, flexible, and durable. They feature a Quick Change System, so you can easily swap your lenses out to accommodate any lighting conditions.
Rudy Project Rydon Slim Key Features:
- Lightweight & ultra-resistant frame
- Semi rimless design for ventilation & Quick Change System for easy lens swapping
- Adjustable rubber nose pieces & temples for a custom, non-slip fit
- ImpactX or Polar 3FX HDR contrast enhancing lens technology
- Available in a larger size
- SFW: 130
SportRx's most popular sunglass frame, the Oakley Flak 2.0 XL, is so popular that Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Joe Kelly rocks them every day. Men and women across the country are also wearing the Flak 2.0 XL for softball, whether they're pitching, fielding, or hitting.
Oakley Flak 2.0 XL Key Features:
- Unobtainium® earsocks & nose pads get tackier the more you sweat
- PRIZM™ Field lenses are optimized for softball to make the ball pop against the backdrop of blues and greens
- Lightweight O Matter™ frame & Three-Point Fit system make these comfortable for all-day wear
- Available in an XS size or Asian Fit
- SFW: 135
Need prescription softball sunglasses? Done. When you shop with us, you’ll find video guides and tool tips throughout the build process as you customize the perfect pair. An answer to all your questions is at your fingertips, and if you want to chat with an expert, contact us. We’ll put you in touch with one of our friendly in-house Sports Opticians who can help you build the best softball sunglasses.
Ditch risky online shopping with our See Better Guarantee™. Try your softball glasses for 45 days. If you’re not 100% satisfied, send them back. Get a full refund, exchange, or credit towards a better pair. And return shipping? Covered. Get the best softball sunglasses online at SportRx today!